A dog in Colorado Springs accidentally caused a fire in its home by turning on the stove while its owners were sleeping. The incident occurred on June 26th when the curious dog climbed onto the kitchen counter and inadvertently turned on the stove, which had a cardboard box on it, causing a fire to break out.

Fortunately, the home was equipped with sensors that detected the abnormal temperature in the kitchen and alerted the homeowners through the digital home assistant. This prompt notification allowed them to quickly extinguish the fire using an extinguisher and call the fire department for assistance. By the time the firefighters arrived, the fire had already been put out by the homeowners.

One of the homeowners had inhaled a significant amount of smoke and was taken to the hospital for treatment, while the other provided surveillance footage to the firefighters, revealing that the dog was responsible for starting the fire out of curiosity.

The fire department emphasized the importance of installing smoke alarms inside and outside every room and on every floor of the house. They also stressed the need to keep flammable materials away from stoves and ensure there are at least two escape routes in case of a fire emergency.

Although the family was able to prevent the fire from spreading further, the property sustained severe damage, leading to the evacuation of the family until further notice. The incident serves as a reminder of the potential dangers of leaving pets unattended near household appliances and the importance of fire safety measures in every home.